Thursday, August 20, 2009

More ALPACA...

So i finally got to spin up a small skein of this scrumptious chocolate Alpaca i carded yesterday.


I experimented around a bit with different whorl sizes,speeds and yarn thickness.
I ended up with a very nicely balanced two ply with a wpi of 9 ,worsted. The color is just amazing, a deep ,rich ,dark chocolate.Yummy!



first i was a little disappointed about the feel of the yarn, i imagined it softer.
So i soaked it in warm water for a few minutes(with a little fabric softener) , squeezed it dry in a towel and whacked it against the counter a few times.And Bingo!! now it's the way i thought it would feel: very soft, no 'prickle effect ' on the skin and a nice drape. The yarn is light and fluffy, like a cloud but really strong ,i cant just break a strand between my hands, i have to cut it.
Yes, i think I'll be working a lot with Alpaca in the future, and why not? It is a lot easier to process than most sheep wool, is softer than merino(it has been compared to cashmere) and the price per pound is comparable or less than for most sheep wool ( at least on e-bay). It'll take me a while to process all this fiber, i got about 10 pounds in assorted colors (still looking for a good deal for a white fleece on e-bay).After I'm done washing and carding all of this i will offer some of it in my shop but i will safe a good chunk for myself, i really would like to spin enough up to use for weft for a big size shawl i can wrap myself into on cold winter nights (or days ).Maybe a variegated yarn with all the colors in it.
Next I'll be turning my attention to the fawn colored fleece,stay tuned...




2 comments:

Lynnette said...

You really did get a nice variety of colours - what fun. I've still got a few pounds of crea (baby alpaca) tucked away just waiting for the right project. I'll be avidly following your progress.

bspinner said...

Alpaca is fun to work with. Yummy yarn in a great color.